Bumhan “B” Yu
Designer who writes front-end code—with a career built around psychology, communications, design, and technology. Big believer in design thinking and scientific methods. Experienced across advertising, branding, and software, and financial industries.Download resume as PDF
Sr/Lead Product Designer
Software • IT
Maintain and expand design system and its components with a strong emphasis on color system and data visualization. Collaborate with broader product, design, and engineering teams to help establish a stronger UX patterns and solutions. Focus areas include:
- Building out UX/UI/IxD patterns and maintaining the design system with semantic versioning
- Ensuring color consistency, accessibility, and flexibility in charts/graphs
- Facilitating collaboration between product, engineering, and design teams
- Prototyping and developing internal proof-of-concepts in React
Teaching and mentoring design students on technical and theoretical topics in design fundamentals and UX/UI practices. Currently teaching:
- Design 101
- UI & UX Design
- Design Foundations
- UX Academy
Responsible for ensuring consistent brand experience via visual, motion, verbal, and UX design. Collaborate with marketing, engineering, and product design teams to develop solutions that drive measurable results. Guide direct reports and manage external vendors. Accomplishments include:
- Leading the corporate rebrand and developing the branding strategy
- Outlining brand guidelines and developing the tooling in React/Gatsby
- Designing, developing, and launching the new website in React/Next.JS
- Prototyping and developing various proof-of-concept applications in React
- Creating a roadmap and leading the UX design for major B2B application
Software • IT
Manage all brand communications, creative-direct and execute a variety of marketing materials, and participate in UI/UX design of the product features. Collaborate with engineering and product teams. Accomplishments include:
- Developing branding strategy, visual identity, and design system
- Establishing the new design system in React
- Designing, developing, and launching the new website in custom stack
- Designing and developing internal tools for marketing team in React
- Leading several major feature releases as a product designer
The Moderns Ltd.
Project-manage, develop and execute digital & non-digital design solutions to various branding, communications, and marketing challenges. Manage client relations and help organize brand workshops. Responsibilities include:
- Developing brand strategy and visual identity systems
- Creating communication design and motion graphics
- Lead UI/UX design and create wireframes
- Develop front-end/digital deliverable
Young & Rubicam Group
Provide creative and technical solutions for advertising & marketing via various channels of print, interactive, and motion media as a team lead. Collaborate with other teams and functions. Responsibilities include:
- Visual identity systems
- Typography-based designs and editorial layout
- New business pitch materials, ad materials for print/digital/outdoor media
- Custom digital deliverables, including motion, websites, ads, and emails
Pratt Institute, M.S.
Graduated with Distinction, with focus on digital design and communications.
Clinical & Counseling Psychology
Korea Univeristy, M.A. (incomplete)
One year coursework completed. Participated in a research program as a co-author.
Linguistics & Psychology
Korea Univeristy, B.A.
Graduaded Cum Laude, double-major.
Skills & Expertise
Branding & identity, motion design, UX/UI, typography, data visualization
Adobe CC, Figma, Sketch, Principle, Git, Visual Studio Code, command-line shell
Verbal & written communications, constant learning, team-first mindset
Served in ROK Army. Result-oriented, team-first, and stress-tested. Has an ego as tiny as an ant.
Skilled communicator with cross-cultural and multidisciplinary perspectives
Calm disposition and detail-orientation while investigating solutions under stress
Husband, dad, marathoner, black belt, agnostic, omnivore, guitar/piano lover